21 Jul EP. 51 – Glass Castles, Princess Diana, and Why Adult Fiction is So Smug…
YouWill Love This Episode!
Being Mid-Summer, It is So Hot outside! Why not curl up in the air condition with a good book and stiff arming the world for awhile…
Stephanie Wilkes, who is a Young Adult Book Critic and Libriran shares her current reads and recommends. Plus- Lyndsey Sikes and I discuss gossipy beach reads, Princess Diana, and where to find courage when Option A does not work out!
Past Episodes to check out:
Stephanie (Episode 50 and Sunday Confession 16) and Lyndsey Sikes ( Episodes: 37, Episode 39 and Sunday Confession 03)
Book titles recommended with Notes:
( Note: The Asterisk * indicates My Must Reads… because they are Ridiculously Compelling)
- OPTION B: FACING ADVERSITY, BUILDING RESILIENCE, AND FINDING JOY. BY SHRYL SANDBERG AND ADAM GRANT (Check out On Being Podcast Ep. April 24, 2017 interview with Sheryl Sandberg…. So Awesome! )
- THE FIVE SECOND RULE BY MEL ROBBINS, (take courage and live your Best Life… I am a sucker for Motivational, “get off your butt and Do Something” type books.)
- KISS CARLO AND THE BIG STONE GAP BY ADRIANA TRIGIANI
- THE GLASS CASTLE *** BY JEANNETTE WALL (memoir, nomadic bohemian childhood – this book will stick with you for a while).
- THE ROYAL WE BY HEATHER COCKS
- THE ROYALS BY KITTY KELLY (super gossipy, fast read/ fun for the beach)
- THE LAST MIDWIFE BY SANDRA DALLAS (talks about women’s rights particular to Birth, Labor and Children… Historical Fiction/ Christian Author…. also- a mystery- a baby is murdered, who did it?)
- HOW CANCER MADE ME MOMMY **** BY ALY TAYLOR (talks about spiritual warfare, mental battles, infertility, health, Courage, and is honest about this journey.. written in a blog-style format).
- SALLY CLARKSON (THE LIFE-GIVING HOME: CREATING A PLACE OF BELONGING AND BECOMING ***** AND EDUCATING THE WHOLE HEARTED CHILD (anything by Sally Clarkson is life-giving, encouraging and helpful in this Journey of motherhood!)
- GENUINE FRAUD BY E. LOCKHART (YA novel)
- SPEAK EASY, SPEAK LOVE BY McKELLE GEORGE (YA novel)
- CONFESSIONS OF A DOMESTIC FAILURE BY BUNMI LADITAN
- THE HONEST TODDLER BY BUNMI LADITAN
- BIG LITTLE LIES BY LIANE MORIARTY
- WHAT ALICE FORGOT ****** BY LIANE MORIARTY (this is a favorite adult fiction for me- Liane Moriarty writes Women really well!).
- THE HATE U GIVE BY ANGIE THOMAS (YA Novel). (racial issues, unique point of view, opens up the door for interesting conversation about social issues)
- ME BEFORE YOU JOJO MOYES (will make you Ugly- Cry)
Audiobooks- that have compelling narrators, bring life to the characters and are easy/ fun listens:
- Matilda by Roald Dahl. Read by Kate Winslet
- Heartburn by Nora Ephron (True Confession- I have read this book at least 10 times… not sure what it says about me- but I love Nora Ephron’s work). Read by Meryl Streep
- Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Read by David Tennat (on Sale right now on Audible for 3.95)
- The Ramona Quimby Audio Collection by Beverly Cleary. Read by Stockard Channing (so good!)
- Wonder by R.J. Palacio. Read by Diana Steele, Nick Podehl and Kate Rudd
Coming Soon— We will have a Print out for you to take to Library and How to and How NOT too do a Kiddie Lit Book Club…
Books For Kids (Ages 1-5)
- Pete’s A Pizza by William Steig (we have the board book, but also comes in Picture Book)
- The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us back to the Garden by Kevin DeYoung. (Awesome illustrations by Don Clark )
- The Ology by Marty Machowski (a Beautiful book just to look at! Helpful in answering those BIG questions about God, Beliefs, theology and purpose… but on a level children can comprehend)
- The Cranberry Series is a Favorite! Anything by Wende and Harry Devlin is excellent.