12 Sep Ep. 13- female Entrepreneurs, birthday cake, and the myth of “having it all.”
Lillian Beard of N The Stitch and beautiful baker of cakes, cupcakes and all scrumptious goodies life gives. One of the best cakes I have ever tasted is one Lillian brought me after Wyatt was born.
White Almond- buttercream Goodness!! @nthestich
She home-schools her four children ages 10-15, she is active in her community- a pastor’s wife, and entrepreneur. When I asked her what prompted her to start baking, crafting, and selling: she said, “Pretty Much everything I have done- has come out of a need.” And so- after creating this one cake for her 5 year old son’s birthday party- her business was launched.
When I asked her what advice would she give a young mom or beginner at launching a business of this nature- or even deciding to homeschool– she suggested:
- Start small- Take one day at a time.
- Have a plan- stick to that plan
- its a Family affair
- use what you have and what you know or are willing to dive deep into research
- Know your limits: say Yes- even if you don’t know everything.. Go For it
- But also Know when to say no (set up some boundaries or balance for yourself)
- Enjoy the process!!
Mom advice on having littles at home and juggling “all of it”:
- set schedule and be consistent
- structure and discipline – esp. for the first several years.
- there isn’t any breathing room when kids are little
- do 1 clean up job at the end of the day.
- enjoy the beginnings – don’t forget to pay attention to firsts, the hopeful and special moments.
The little ballet shoes I bought five years ago from a budding entrepreneur- Lillian Beard of N the Stitch:
What is Lillian most excited about?
Fall and all the decor. Pumpkins and being cheated by Louisiana weather doesn’t stop her from celebrating and decorating.
I am excited about Wyatt sleeping….. better. But he is 2 months- so I should give him a little break.
However- what I cannot stop talking and thinking about is my new favorite classic. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. I completely nerd out over this novel. Hope you enjoy the episode!